Sunday, July 6, 2008

lady lovely locks



as i get older, i'm realizing how much of my fashion inspiration stems directly from the books i read when i was little, and the characters that ran so rampant in my imagination. For example, one of my very favorite books when i was younger was story about a character named Lady Lovely Locks - she was a beautiful girl with long, gorgeous, golden hair, which she combed every day with a golden brush while she sat in sunny fields. and she lived in a magical land where every living creature had long, flowing, luxurious hair in every color imaginable, and some of these little critters would crawl into her hair, their long tails adding pinks and purples and blues and greens to her shining golden tresses. i mean really, how amazing! To this very day, i long for and dream of rainbow-hued, princess-long lovely locks.

what were some of your strongest fictional fashion inspirations from your childhood?

5 comments:

a.strange.girl said...

My inspirations have been Nora Charles from "The Thin Man", characters from "A Mid-Summer Night's Dream" -- particularly the faeries and Weetzie and Witch Baby respectively.

Especially Witch Baby, she's my purple tilty-eyed tangled hair roller boot skating grandpa ghost catching goddess!

But yeah I may have not fully understood certain books when I was a kid but they definitely left their mark <3

Angela said...

hmm
This is sort of tough to figure out because when I was a kid I wore whatever the hell I wanted and it was all over the place and insane.

I think I was more inspired by Barbie doll clothes.

I always thought of really interesting outfits for Barbies and would layer and cut their hair and such and such.

Weronika said...

For me, it's always been Rainbow Bright, the Childlike Empress from "The Neverending Story", and Matilda from "Matilda" as a kid. Now, it's various book characters, Clementine from "Eternal Sunshine", anyone who wears a toga, and Nabokov's 1960s style Lolita.

Meg said...

i recognize that picture! and it gets me really wanting to find that old book and read it again
:)

Meg said...

i recognize that picture! and it gets me really wanting to find that old book and read it again
:)