Sunday, August 10, 2008

buyers remorse



have you ever made a huge, impulsive hair mistake? welcome to my past week in the adventures of hair dye. now don't get me wrong, i have certainly had my fair share of bad haircuts and strange hair colors in the past. somehow, though, i must have thought that was all behind me after a year or so of lovely, well-behaved, long-ish platinum hair. but something this past week possessed me, took hold of my thoughts one day while i was out on a walk - maybe it was the change of scenery and weather, maybe it was the approaching autumn - and i promptly came home, dug a bottle of hair dye out from under my sink, and proceeded to dye my hair RED. yes, red. aka, the hardest color to remove if you end up hating it - which, of course, i did. i realized i'd made a mistake as soon as i started washing the dye out, and then came that sinking feeling in my chest - that, oh god now i have ugly hair forever feeling i'm sure we've all experienced at one time or another.

now it's not so much that the color itself is awful - i mean, if i were the right person with the right personality i'm sure i could pull it of just lovely. but the real problem is that my outsides don't match my insides, does that make sense? i've always believed that personal style should help us communicate on the outside how we feel on the inside, and i certainly don't feel bright magenta. however, i've gotten myself into quite a pickle by:

a) dying my hair the single hardest color to remove/dye over (of course)
b) being far too broke to pay for professional help

so the next few days will be full of me decided how and whether to fix this little "problem"...expect many eventful hair adventures along the way!

2 comments:

Andrea Eames said...

Oh dear! It looks lovely in the photo, but if it doesn't feel like 'you', then that's terrible. I had one of those hair moments at the beginning of the week, where I felt my whole personality had been stripped away along with my previous hairstyle, but I feel comfortable with it now. Hopefully you will start to feel more comfortable with the red - at least until you can get it changed.

For what it's worth, I think it looks very nice :)

terren said...

i know what you mean! i've definitely done something like that before. but i think you pull it off rather well, even if it doesn't feel quite right.